Director of Marketing
About the Harvard Innovation Labs:
The Harvard Innovation Labs is a truly unique ecosystem that fosters entrepreneurship and innovation across Harvard University. A strategic response to the ever growing importance and interest in innovation and startup “science”, the ecosystem is viewed as one of the leaders within the university-based innovation center space.
The Harvard Innovation Labs consists of 3 lab facilities adjacent to each other:
- The I-lab is a “One Harvard” incubator and co-working space open to any Harvard student from any Harvard school with a startup idea at any stage. Every semester, students from across all 12 Harvard schools apply to participate in the Venture Incubation Program (VIP), a 12- week integrated program that combines mentoring, workshops and community to student startup teams move their ideas further faster. Many post-graduation teams apply to move into the Launch Lab to continue working on their startups.
- The Launch Lab is a “One Harvard” inspired curated co-working space adjacent to the i-lab and Life Lab, designed and resourced to support high potential Harvard alumni startup ventures. This co-working space has 140 work stations housing approximately 35 Harvard alumni venture teams. The modern space is affordable and flexible offering 8 conference rooms, 6 phone booths, 2 kitchens and ample lounge areas. The Launch Lab teams have access to the i-lab’s programming, and extensive network of faculty, mentors, advisors and investors.
- The Pagliuca Harvard Life Lab is the latest addition to the ecosystem and serves as Harvard’s stake-in-the ground commitment to supporting Life Science startups. The Life Lab is a shared wet laboratory space for high-potential life sciences and biotech startups founded by Harvard faculty, alumni, students, and postdoctoral scholars. The fully-equipped 15,000-square-foot facility has 36 lab work benches and 70 co-working spaces, multiple conference rooms and kitchen. Like the Launch Lab, Life Lab teams can tap into the i-lab’s programming and advisor network.
The Director, Marketing & Community Relations is a new and exciting role for the Harvard Innovation Labs, and representative of our continued evolution as a multi-lab ecosystem. The role and the formation of the Marketing department in 2016 reflects our commitment to improving the overall Innovation Labs brand experience and broadening our messaging and outreach within the University and across the Harvard alumni entrepreneurial network and local Boston innovation ecosystems. Alongside the formation of the Marketing department has come the creation of the Community Relations team in 2017, the group of front-line staff members at each lab charged with directly serving our customers in particular and the community in general to ensure full engagement and deep satisfaction with the resources we provide. The Director is charged with overseeing both departments, achieving their annual department plan milestones, developing their functional capacities and those of the individuals within them while fully supporting the strategic priorities of the organization.
The specific responsibilities of the position are as follows:
Lead all marketing, brand and PR strategy for the Harvard Innovation Labs while managing a marketing team consisting of 1 full time coordinator as well as a team of contractors including: graphic designer, content editor/writer, PR and communications and digital marketing coordinator. Responsibilities include:
- Establish an annual marketing plan and supporting systems to achieve performance metrics, drive awareness and interest in all three labs across Harvard schools, Harvard alumni entrepreneurs and the broader Boston innovation ecosystem.
- Working with outside resources to ensure the brand architecture in support of the Harvard Innovation Labs is up to date, compelling and sound. Create templates, tools and processes to ensure that all communications are consistent in terms of message and identity.
- Work towards a comprehensive and innovative stewardship of all touchpoints between the Harvard Innovation Labs and the various constituencies we serve.
- Oversee the creation and implementation of innovative communication campaigns in support of signature events and ensuring robust application flow for all three labs, including the President’s Innovation Challenge
- Ensure that our digital presence is optimized (website, social media, content marketing)
- Ensure the efficient and cost effective production of all collateral, video, print, etc.
- Manage the annual marketing budget to maximize value while minimizing risk of overages
- Work with the Marketing Coordinator to establish effective systems and processes that ensure consistently effective output
Community Relations Responsibilities:
- Lead, manage and develop the Community Relations department/function for all three Harvard Innovation labs in order to deliver optimal customer lifecyle experiences from application to off-boarding to Innovation Labs alumni engagement
- Work with the Community Relations staff to create an annual department plan that supports the overall Strategic Plan tactical priorities while ensuring consistent progress of the department’s function and value
- Ensure that Community Relations systems and protocols are being built to achieve consistency of delivery and the capacity to scale/expand to other locations
- Ensure that the Launch and Life Lab communities represent venture team criteria and that there are solid pipelines of applicant interest
- Working with the AD, Community Relations develop and implement a Harvard Innovation Labs alumni engagement plan that establishes opportunities for value exchange
- Working with the AD, Community Relations develop and implement a concerted plan to better curate, manage and deploy the Harvard Innovation Labs Advisor Network, a network of almost 200 volunteer experts, entrepreneurs and subject matter experts who volunteer their time in support of Harvard student (and alumni) entrepreneurs
- Establish annual performance improvement goals via the formal performance management system
- Conduct weekly one on one check ins with all employees to ensure clarity of priorities, understanding of performance and the constant realization of both support and accountabilities
- Be a motivating and effective teacher
The Director, Marketing & Community Relations position includes several direct reports and as such is responsible for being a consummate and effective day-to-day manager and talent developer. A Harvard Innovation Labs manager is expected to:
- Maintain up-to-date job descriptions for all direct reports
Other Tasks and Accountabilities:
- The Director is expected to be a creative force within the organization, a source of innovative ideas and expression
- S(he) is an essential part of the overall management team and is expected to play an active role in the formation of the annual Strategic Plan and its implementation
- S(he) is charged with actively guiding the Marketing & Community Relations departments in their collective evolution and the professional evolution of the individuals within them
- S(he) also serves as a positive bastion and constant example of the Harvard Innovation Labs’ culture and values
- BA/BS required, MBA preferred
- The position requires solid leadership and management competencies, a high level of organization and deadline orientation as well as problem-solving skills.
- Evidence of ability to work at the strategic level (generating and executing innovative ideas) and the tactical level (organizing meetings, analyzing data, solving administrative problems).
- Brand, marketing & communications leadership experience is essential, ideally in both the consumer and B2B spaces
- Some experience managing or interfacing with multi-faceted communities
- Experience working in a university setting preferred with a commitment to strong customer service and quality
- Must possess superior verbal communication skills with high creativity, energy, integrity, thoughtful judgment and decision making – solid presentation skills a must
- Excellent written communication skills with the ability to match message delivery to audience needs.
- The ability to work occasional extra hours, including evenings and weekends, to meet deadlines and oversee and/or attend events
- Agility, gravitas, and high EQ are valued attributes
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office 2016
- Creative & Outgoing
Harvard Innovation Labs Personality Attributes
- Everyone helps
- No ego
- Act like an owner
- Innovate yourself
- Be urgent
- Serves all Harvard Innovation Labs customers
- Serves Advising (and Programming)
- Customer to Operations
Direct Reports: Marketing Coordinator; Associate Director, Community Relations
Reports To: Director
For more information about Harvard University, Benefits, visit: