Director of Operations & Administration
The Harvard Innovation Labs seeks a senior-level professional to serve as the Director of Operations. As part of the HIL senior leadership team, the Director will provide leadership and management of operations and ensure the smooth functioning of the all three labs as the campus hub of entrepreneurial innovation. The Director will manage the Operations team and act as the primary liaison with HBS and University departments.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Operational Oversight: Strategic oversight of the operations of the entire Harvard Innovation Labs ecosystem including the student facing i-lab, alumni Launch Lab, and the Life Lab
- Finance – Responsible for supporting financial activities of the HIL, including providing strategic analytics, managing the budgeting and forecasting process and acting as key liaison with HBS finance;
- Technology infrastructure – Responsible for strategic oversight and continuous improvement of all technology at the HIL; including intranet, wiki’s, and other technology platforms to enhance accountability, workflow and systems design and process improvement
- Data Analytics – Responsible for the design, management and utilization of data analytics tools for strategic planning, and reporting purposes, to measure the impact of HIL activities
- Human Resources - Responsible for the HIL human resource administration and acts as key point of contact with HR for employment, performance management and employee relations issues; as well as onboarding training and employee development.
- Systems and Process Design: Create and implement strategic systems and processes to enhance organizational effectiveness to support all HIL activities
- Event Logistics Oversight: Oversee all events and programs including academic courses, workshops, signature programs; and senior level management of all administrative and cross university activities
- Physical Space - responsible for all space planning, enhancement and continuous improvement related to the labs and other affiliated facilities;
- University Liaison: Serves as the HIL representative at cross university events and forums to ensure the Innovation Labs are properly integrated into broader university planning and the Allston Enterprise District.
This role requires someone who has a strong commitment to “mission” based work and who sees his/her work as an opportunity to make a powerful contribution to a larger effort. The ideal candidate is willing to roll up his/her sleeves and do what is necessary at all times. S/he should also possess a “can do” and “continuous improvement” attitude. Ability to see the broader implications of strategic decisions and find creative ways to make an impact. Exceptional relationship skills, the ability to build rapport with internal and external constituents are important qualifications. The successful candidate will have strong systems sensibility and have extensive experience taking a plan from idea to reality; and be able to accomplish a great deal with a lean staff. Other valuable attributes include excellent organizational, personnel and administrative management skills; and experience working effectively with faculty, University administrators, and advisory board members.
The desired candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 10+ years of operations/business management in fast-paced organization
- BA/BS required
- Exceptional people management skills
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills, including the ability to own and manage multiple tasks and be able to get the details right
- Solid financial management and analytical skills
- Solid understanding of the New England and broader entrepreneurial community
- Experience in technology and facilities management
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, as well as sensitivity and tact.
- Strong team dynamics skills and is inherently comfortable working with minimal supervision, but understands when buy-in is necessary
- Proven experience leading projects requiring collaboration across teams of diverse people
- Demonstrated record of superior business and personal performance in a high-functioning, nimble organization and a record of success in developing high quality and impactful programming
- A high comfort level with a changing and evolving agenda is required, along with the flexibility to adapt to that agenda.
Cover letter is required.
- MBA preferred
- Experience in a start-up or incubator environment preferred
- Seniority Level
- Mid-Senior level
- Education Management
- Employment Type
- Job Functions
- Strategy/Planning Management